analytics

Saturday 5 February 2011

Minipops and sleeping lions

No blog about 80's TV would be complete without a cursery nod to that Friday night classic Top of the Pops.

From the teenagers hanging all over the TV presenters, trying to get their ten seconds of fame, to the lip synching, overdressed acts we called pop stars, it was a staple part of any teenagers TV viewing.

Having older sisters, I got to watch it too, and my absolute enduring memory was Tight Fit in 1982 singing to The Lion Sleeps Tonight. What self respecting six year old wouldn't love watching Tarzan and Jane lip synch and sway their hips on live TV?

And better than that, you got to watch it replicated on Mini Pops - but this time by a group of overdressed, over confident kids. If you can't remember Mini Pops - it was a Saturday night TV programme where kids were dressed like adults (make-up, hairspray, the lot) and performed to the latest pop hits.

I seem to remember some controversy now (probably due to the fact that they were kids dressed like adults) but that went straight over my head. It totally appealed to my six-year-old-wish-I-was-a-popstar mind.
If you are still struggling to remember, let me remind you with the clip below:


1 comment:

  1. I love the hairstyles and think I still have the shoulder pads ;)

    ReplyDelete