analytics

Sunday 6 February 2011

Careless whispers and talking cars

The year is 2011, so I ask myself why the familiar melody of "Careless Whispers" is being played from my 9 year old sons bedroom. Surely he hasn't discovered a Wham album from my youth and decided that they beat One Direction (OK, he's only 9, there's time yet!!)?

Reassuringly, no that isn't the case. He's actually watching his much loved Knight Rider box set for the hundredth or so time.

Hubby brought it for him in a moment of nostalgia, and I have to admit I doubted that it would be a success. But then thinking about it, the talking car, the fast action car chases, they are two ingredients that were bound to be a hit. Nine year old son doesn't seem to notice the dated clothing and even the soundtrack.

In fact, he pretty much loves any of the old classics we have brought for him: Dangermouse, Bucky O Hare, all four Superman films.  We tried ET too young I think but that one will have to come out soon.

I'm also thinking Back to the Future - I know he will love it, but I can't wait to watch it again myself.

Introducing your kids to retro classics can have its downside though. On the same trip as the Knight Rider purchase I made the mistake of buying Button Moon for my daughter. It was a firm favourite when I was tiny. The first viewing prompted that warm lovely emotion that you attach to something from a happy childhood.  The second viewing was good too. Unfortunately though it was too much of a success, and the nostalgia gave way to pure utter annoyance.

We got our moneys worth though - we had about 2 years worth of viewing out of that DVD until we accidentally (!) mislaid it. Mary Poppins is the latest craze and I'm wondering how long it will be before we have to mislay another DVD ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment